Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Divergent Ear

Music "as we know it" serves myriad purposes.


Among these purposes are entertainment, diversion, emotional reinforcement, dance, and aesthetic pleasure, that is to say, listening enjoyment, whether by simple or refined appreciation of the art of music and the technical skill with which it is composed, arranged, and performed.

I count myself among those privileged to have attended performances by an astonishing array of artists in virtually every musical genre; in a number of cases I have worked and performed with these artists, who I admire and respect to this day, and they all, to one degree or another, have impacted my own work.

Yet I hear differently, and what I hear, and work to express, is not "music as we know it".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments opened Jan. 2016. All comments moderated, out of respect for the intelligence of the audience.